Thursday, March 17, 2005

French Joke

Thinking about the EU reminds me of a classic French Joke.

The EU decides to carry out a worldwide survey of attitudes to scarcity. They frame the following question: "Excuse me, what is your opinion of the meat shortage?"

A researcher travels the globe to get the answers.

First to North Korea:
Researcher: "Excuse me, what is your opinion of the meat shortage?"
North Korean (furrowing brow): "What do you mean by "opinion"?"

Next to Cuba
Researcher: "Excuse me, what is your opinion of the meat shortage?"
Cuban (furrowing brow): "What do you mean by "meat"?"

Next to the US
Researcher: "Excuse me, what is your opinion of the meat shortage?"
American (furrowing brow): "What do you mean by "shortage"?"

Then to France
Researcher: "Excuse me, what is your opinion of the meat shortage?"
Frenchman (furrowing brow): "What do you mean by "Excuse me"?"